Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrywheeler View Post
The only experience I've had with writing services has been terrible. The ones I've used provided one or two quality articles at first, then submitted spun articles that made no sense. They wanted payment upfront and I was left with 10 useless articles.
See, that's what pisses me off. You the client is spending your hard earned money, investing in something you plan to have increase your profits and you run into irresponsible and lazy scammers.

It gives us writers a bad name and shouldn't be tolerated.

I've worked in major media for decades. I take pride in my work. I don't charge an arm and a leg but I too have run into some clients who weren't honest. That's why in some cases I charge part of the cost up front with verification. It's a hand-in-hand type of job to ensure both parties get the fair exchange.

Like I say, get live with the writer, via Skype or some other live chat and test them. See how they write while chatting with you. That cuts the prospect of being ripped down significantly.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
See, that's what pisses me off. You the client is spending your hard earned money, investing in something you plan to have increase your profits and you run into irresponsible and lazy scammers.

It gives us writers a bad name and shouldn't be tolerated.

I've worked in major media for decades. I take pride in my work. I don't charge an arm and a leg but I too have run into some clients who weren't honest. That's why in some cases I charge part of the cost up front with verification. It's a hand-in-hand type of job to ensure both parties get the fair exchange.

Like I say, get live with the writer, via Skype or some other live chat and test them. See how they write while chatting with you. That cuts the prospect of being ripped down significantly.
I had done every bit of due dilegence I could think of. Accepted the first articles which were amazing.

Then when I purchased the larger group, it was like a bait and switch.

Now I'm "once bitten twice shy" ... and don't want to take the chance again. It wasn't like I wanted "cheap" articles, I was paying what I thought was a fair price for them.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrywheeler View Post
I had done every bit of due dilegence I could think of. Accepted the first articles which were amazing.

Then when I purchased the larger group, it was like a bait and switch.

Now I'm "once bitten twice shy" ... and don't want to take the chance again. It wasn't like I wanted "cheap" articles, I was paying what I thought was a fair price for them.
That's why having a site where you can qualify a contractor is important. In over 15 years doing business online I've only been stiffed twice and that was in the last month. I was so shocked I had to restructure how I do business online.

Honor and integrity come first or you just don't have business anymore in this world.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM

I agree with you.This principle is used by most of the SEO copywriters.They focus on providing quality rather than quantity .That's why they normally charge much more than a normal writer.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM

Before you order articles, ask him or her samples. If the quality of article delivered doesn't match the samples, you have the right to refuse. If they sent you samples, they tries to meet the quality. So, it's always good to ask samples first.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

All the great writers are either dead or are writing for themselves.

However competent writers are out there and I think you have already worked out where to find them. I thought about writing for a living and think I could have made a go of it, but quickly discounted it as an option when I found out how low the rates were.

I think I will stick to writing my own content for my own sites instead of selling my work for peanuts.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Getting a great writer is something that I have always mentioned as the most important part of your seo campaign, and what I do is build the relationship, have either the writer I know personally, meet face to face, or have a member of my team that meet with the writer face to face, to understand the relationship. I never, ever, do any bulk packages, they will never work for writing, it is common sense, when you get bulk packages they will take short cuts, spun content or not, so, in my opinion, you have to pay for each and every article if you want the quality.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 AM

Personally I pay $6.5 at http://www.articlesquad.net/ but that is if I order 10 articles. I settled on these guys because their articles are written by propper Native English speaking authors and the quality is not perfect but for what you paying the small amount of editing is not even worth worrying about
For a one off I think it is $7

Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 AM

For quality Web writing, you'll need a budget of $0.10 - $0.30 per word. Less than that, you're not going to get quality writing and you are really just throwing your money away. As a Web content writer, I can tell you that good writing takes hours and hours of research specific to your topic. If you want to impress Google, you have to have the best content.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM

It's a funny old world you know!

Normally most web designers like me are bitching about their sites getting ripped....but I can honestly say it's never happened as far as I know!

But what does get ripped on a regular basis is my bloody words! And with no attempt to change them apart from switching the company name!

Hell....it's not as if I have the literary excellence of an Oscar Wilde or an Edgar Allan Poe FFS!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:42 PM
v7n Mentor

You probably can't afford them or are unwilling to pay for their talent. You get what you pay for!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Hey XTremo,

I just posted an article "Content Theft" that has all the information you need if someone is plagiarizing your content. This forum, though, doesn't want me to give you the link to it. So, you could search on Google for Content Theft Writer Fox and probably find it.

You can actually have the offending site taken out of search engine indexes and removed from their hosting server.

In the light of Google Panda, you really need to report it because sometimes a site that has stolen your content can outrank your original on search engine results.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 AM

Just pay as per the quality of the article. Its not the quantity but the quality that matters. Always ask for the introduction para of the article before submitting upfront payment. Introduction is where it is decided whether the article is of good quality or bad. For a 500 words good quality article pay as much as you wish, for average keep it around $5-$7 and for poor articles, which needs much editing $2-$4 are ok.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM

How do you think, how much is proper price for a high quality article? (500 word)

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 PM

depends- it may be $10-$30.......but if you have good bargaining skills, you can bring it down to $8......

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Also it depends on what country the writer lives in. If i wanted a article done, the SEO firm that i would use charges $30 for a 500 word article. It's well worth it for that price because i have used them for the past 5 years when i needed content.

Check out the marketplace sections on webmaster forum's. Lot's of good article writing folks offer discounts sometimes.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
v7n Mentor

"Where are the great writers?"

Well, right now I'm on the couch.
--------
On hiring done on behalf of clients i've never paid less than $25 nor more than $50.
The lower prices were based on volume... an ongoing contract with several posts each week.

Last edited by robjones; 01-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
v7n Mentor

$5-7 for average content? Um, no. You'll be getting crap content written by a non-native English speaker.

The last website I contracted with I was charging $36 per. For longer stuff I'd charge more. For volume, I'd offer discounts.

When I first started, I'd do stuff in the $7 to $10 range, just to build up a portfolio and get more experience. I found there was a lot of demand for quality work at this price range, especially because I'm a far superior writer than most (and esp. most at that price level), and it was sort of overwhelming. I had more work than I knew what to do with and was burnt out pretty fast. I was working for less than I was worth.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
$5-7 for average content? Um, no. You'll be getting crap content written by a non-native English speaker.

The last website I contracted with I was charging $36 per. For longer stuff I'd charge more. For volume, I'd offer discounts.

When I first started, I'd do stuff in the $7 to $10 range, just to build up a portfolio and get more experience. I found there was a lot of demand for quality work at this price range, especially because I'm a far superior writer than most (and esp. most at that price level), and it was sort of overwhelming. I had more work than I knew what to do with and was burnt out pretty fast. I was working for less than I was worth.
well, i said 5-7 for average quality articles, not for superior ones. The last article i sold was 250 words and i got $15 for it. Although, i am not a native speaker still i was able to keep it up to the mark. However, it doesn't always happen with me. I am just an average kind of writer and there are millions of people out there,who can write better than me. I am cutting the prices to survive the tough competition.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
v7n Mentor

The way I measure, the difference between average and superior is the depth of the research, how SEO-friendly the content is, or how engaging the writer is. Has nothing to do with grammar or spelling. Anything with errors in that realm isnt just below average, it's unacceptable.

Proper grammar and spelling are a threshold criteria, not a qualitative consideration that drives price. There is no curcumstance where I'm prepared to say "Hey, sure the spelling and grammar are negligible, but it was cheap... let's post it anyway". That would diminish the professionalism of the site.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web