Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Question What is the decent length of Articles?

Now getting harder and harder using articles to promote our site, just wonder what is the average length of decent articles? Any idea? Please share with me if you know. Thanks

Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In my opinion a 400 to 500 words article is the best because the reader can find something interesting in this and also it will not get bored reading it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes using 400-500 words is a standard format for all type of article work.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Banned

what if I had to explain lots of stuff in the article. like the range of 500 won't be enough for me to explain everything? would you recommend me to split the article into 2 parts?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2010 View Post
what if I had to explain lots of stuff in the article. like the range of 500 won't be enough for me to explain everything? would you recommend me to split the article into 2 parts?
I would split the article into 2 parts to keep your visitors thirsty for more articles from you.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Article length

For longer topics, you have a great opportunity for repeat readership. For my own blog, I tend to write as long as I have to, and then go back afterwards and split the content into three sections. With their own headline and a little editing to make them a bit more self-contained, I now have enough content to release through the week--and not have to do any more work!

I'm sure you'll agree that sitting down and "warming up" on projects is the really hard part of writing, so why have to go through the "start up" phase over and over?

Be careful if you intend to submit your content to ezinearticles, however; they will not accept split articles. I found this out when I tried submitting "Parts 1, 2 and 3" followed by "4, 5 and 6." You'll have to put them back together into one self-contained article to successfully submit it there.

I'm frequently (and highly!) paid to research & write application articles for scientific & testing equipment...and we limit those to about 600 words. If there's more content, we figure out another subject/headline for it and re-purpose the rest of our data that way.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2010 View Post
Now getting harder and harder using articles to promote our site, just wonder what is the average length of decent articles? Any idea? Please share with me if you know. Thanks
Anything below 200 words will be bad content. So you need to have articles od 300+ to be considered decent in length.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena85 View Post
In my opinion a 400 to 500 words article is the best because the reader can find something interesting in this and also it will not get bored reading it.
In fact there is no criteria that your article should have minimum 400 words. But many lisiting sites recomends for this word count. However content is more important than the words counting. try to focus on unique content and clear message visibility.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerVan View Post
Anything below 200 words will be bad content. So you need to have articles od 300+ to be considered decent in length.
Since this is based on opinion.....
Can a good writer say what they have to say in 200 words or less?

How about an article that tells you to check with each article site before posting?.......

Or a study of several article sites and using their average as an average for writing each article?

And is there a difference between posting on an article site and posting on your own site?.......

Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
v7n Mentor

There is no "magic" answer to this question. Your articles should be as long as they need to. A "perfect" length for one article may not be so "perfect" for another article. You want your readers to get the information they need, without getting bored. For some topics, you can say everything you need to say in 400 words. For other topics, it may take 700 words to get everything in.

As a general rule, though, I can't imagine that any quality article is going to be less than 300 words or so. After all, how can you go into any kind of depth in something that short?

As for snake's advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I would split the article into 2 parts to keep your visitors thirsty for more articles from you.
I love you, snake, and I rarely (if ever!) disagree with you. Here, though, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree And here's why:

Your goal with all of your articles should be to get them syndicated. So, let's say that a website syndicates part 1 of your article, but not part 2. The people who read it are never going to get the 2nd part, so they'll be missing out on vital information. Or, if someone publishes part 2 and not part 1, people who read it are going to have missed something right off the bat.

If your article really is too long, instead of dividing it, see what you can take out. Chances are, it's not as focused as it should be.

Or, you might just have one of those topics that you can read about for 1,200 words and not get bored. Don't automatically think that it's too long. If it's compelling and offers great information, people will read it.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would say less is more. The writer should try to give more value to the readers in few words. Anyhow, a good article should be above 500 words.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

I agree with what nicolebeckett says here...

Quote:
Or, you might just have one of those topics that you can read about for 1,200 words and not get bored. Don't automatically think that it's too long. If it's compelling and offers great information, people will read it.
When it comes to content found on the web, quality rules. If the topic is large, then write it up. Having a lengthy article is okay, as long as it's a QUALITY article. Just make sure you remove the fluff/filler material.

Plus, from an SEO consultant's standpoint, if the article proves to be helpful and informative, people will take the time to read it, and this will help with your site's SEO metrics. For one, your lengthy article may prove to be 'unbounceable' (referring to bounce rates). This means that the visitor will stay longer, and this will help with your website's metrics.

Forget about writing articles according to length. Focus more on what the visitors would like to see. Interesting/helpful/informative content is what people are looking for.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Latest Blog:
Life On Earth

I also agree with 300 to 500 word count. It is still possible to include the most important information in this length. But if you have too much to write and do not want to split the article then, use bullets to condense the points. I think it depends on where and for what you are posting the articles.

Best of luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Article Size Matters!

On the EzineArticles blog today:
Quote:
Articles Too Short Or Too Long? Learn How To Write In The 400-700 Word Sweet Spot!

Catchy titles and intriguing summaries are important to hook the readerís interest, but ensuring your article body maintains that interest can seem a bit challenging.

Too Long: If you write a lengthy article of 1,000-5,000 words, you might lose the readerís interest or make them feel like they are on a wild-goose chase for the information they desire.

Too Short: If you write a short article that just barely meets the word count, have you engaged the readerís interest long enough to give yourself the credit you deserve and build enough trust with the reader?
Article Size Matters!

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM

I write min 400 words article to max 800 words. Is it okay? I divide them is few paragraphs.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Hi

If it's an article that is about real informations then up to 500-1200 words.
But if it's to be used for SEO 300-500 will be just fine.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot55 View Post
Hi

If it's an article that is about real informations then up to 500-1200 words.
But if it's to be used for SEO 300-500 will be just fine.
How is that working out for you?

I would think if you are going to take the time to write an article it would have real information in it instead of being written just for SEO purposes.

Why would you bother making a distinction?

Aren't you writing to inform/entertain your readers and also have the article found through the search engines?

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

I will add from my experience. HTMLBASICTUTOR is correct. For example EzineArticles won't publish any material less than 1,000 words. I had do go back and add paragraphs, more explanations, when I was posting for them. So you need to look at their requierments, make sure to meet them.

Other than that, people have given you different advice to think about.

Legacy Systems Services Blog

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

I wrote an article recently for my website that was just over 400 words. I find any more than that and the reader would lose interest. For my personal blog, a few sentences suffice as I feel the reader just wants a quick snippet, with a picture to boot (I write about wine and stuff). AS for Ezine, I believe they require 400 or more, not the 1000 as stated.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would prefer two 300 words articles over one 500 words article

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web