Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Good technique for writing quality articles?

What is your technique for writing quality article?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Article writing method

First, decide on your topic. Be as specific as you can.

Second, research your topic. If you're already an expert on it, you can simply review what you already know. Otherwise, you must find out whatever you can about it--within a given time limit. Thanks to the internet, you should be able to find out enough source material to draw from in an hour. Be careful: some topics have government or other authorities that manage how it's used or measured, and any claims made about something must be confirmed by at least one other source. Always make sure the information you're giving your reader is the truth.

Third, outline your article, if only in your mind. Better results will be achieved by doing this on paper or in your word processor. Even though I've written many articles for a certain testing equipment supplier, I still begin by typing in Word something like:

(topic) 600 words
intro/why (topic) is important 100 words
causes of problem needing (topic) as solution 100 words
top application #1 of (topic) 100 words
other applications of (topic) 200 words
industry standards 100 words

See how trying to do the layout before researching your topic will fail? You'll lack the understanding of the content and material to give you the subject areas.

This layout also gives you word targets. It's easier to write when you break the problem down. If I've written 75 words in the intro section, I know I need to say something more. If I check and I've written 200 words in my top #1 application of the topic, maybe I need to cut that back--or reduce the space I'm going to spend on a later section. Either way, I'm comfortable because I know where I'm at.

Fourth, figure out a headline for your article. Something catchy, informative and of a story-telling nature. "Why Equipment Calibration Matters" may be boring to those not interested in that subject, but it appeals to those who want to know and they'll click to read it.

Fifth, edit your article draft. Grammar, incomplete ideas, things out of context: you must fix and eliminate everything that would cause your reader to stumble. A test: read your article aloud. If you stumble over a phrase, or something doesn't make sense, that's your cue to revise.

I hope this has been helpful.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing_noob View Post
What is your technique for writing quality article?
Choosing a niche I know plenty about, stay focused. That's about it.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

I would add the following to PainFreeProfits' comments. If you are concerned about keyword SEO, don't worry too much about keyword placement in the initial draft, unless of course, the words come naturally. For me, it tends to stifle my output if I try and force keywords into the text.

After I have written the article, it is easy for me to insert keywords as synonym replacements or by making a minor modification to a sentence.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Latest Blog:
None

One thing that works wonders for me is writing down the main ideas I want to tackle in the article. Let's say I want to write an article on 'dog training'. Some things I might want to tackle are: how to tell if a dog is not well trained, why people find it difficult to train their dogs, how to prepare for a training session etc. All these ideas would eventually turn into paragraphs. This way, I can write a whole 500 words article in less than 20-25 minutes.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I'd say do plenty of research first, compile structured notes, look for areas your knowledge is weak in and research some more.

From structured notes, you can split the topic into distinct sub-topics to write articles on and if you've done your research well, your notes should include all the relevant points.

Also, during your research, questions or ideas should be occurring to you which you don't seem to be finding answers to in other people's articles - by focussing on those areas, you can create articles that will give new information to people and create good niches for your articles.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
v7n Mentor

1. Research, research, research.

2. Write something that answers your target audience's questions and solves their problems - in a compelling way.

It sounds ridiculously simple, but that's really all there is to it. If you try to say in advance that you're going to spend 100 words on an intro or that you're going to use your keyword 8 times you're just going to make things harder on yourself.

Anytime I get stuck, I ask myself "What am I trying to say?", and I answer in 1 simple sentence. If it takes you 2 sentences to answer this question (or even 1 really long complex sentence), you're not focused enough - and that disorganization will come through to your readers.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I think it may also be worth mentioning how important good grammar and spelling are.

Judging by questions and comments I've seen on various forums, I think many people are struggling to get articles approved by directories, not realising how poor their grammar and spelling are (BTW, I'm British and use English spellings before you comment!). If you are not a native English speaker, you should probably have your articles proof-read and corrected by one if you find your articles are not being accepted.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Use persuasive/inclusive techniques, you see how Politicians always say 'we' 'you' etc to include the reader in your piece and make them feel as if you're personally speaking to them.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonForLinks View Post
I think it may also be worth mentioning how important good grammar and spelling are.
You're so right, Leon. If an author can't be counted on to know the difference between "too" and "to" or "its" and "it's", how you can you possibly think of him as an expert that you'd do business with?

People look for all kinds of reasons NOT to spend their hard-earned money. By having spelling and grammar errors in your content, you're giving people the reason they need not to crack open their wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmith2015 View Post
Use persuasive/inclusive techniques, you see how Politicians always say 'we' 'you' etc to include the reader in your piece and make them feel as if you're personally speaking to them.
That's so important. When people read your articles, they should feel like you're speaking directly to them (and only to them, not a giant audience). They should feel like you understand their problems, and that you truly have a legitimate solution for them.

Truthfully, it should read like a conversation you would have over dinner with a friend. The next time you get stuck trying to use a bunch of "fancy" words, stop. Just imagine how you would say it to a friend, and go from there.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 PM

the best technique would be to keep it crisp, clear and have define the audience you are targeting by keeping your article industry specific

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks, for all of your replies. I learned a lot from all of you.

I need to work on my grammar, but I find it difficult to spot my grammar errors. I'll start asking someone else to do grammar checks for me.

I find it very effective to leave the article on my computer files for a night and read it one more time the next day before I post it. I find it easier to spot all the mistakes I've done.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hi, Everyone

Thank you for sharing your information guys. it is a very helpful post.
Whatís really important is that your reader feels you are an expert.

Cheers

Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing_noob View Post
I find it very effective to leave the article on my computer files for a night and read it one more time the next day before I post it. I find it easier to spot all the mistakes I've done.
I do, too In fact, I never write something, immediately proofread it, and send it out. I've found that letting it sit and coming back to it later (whether it's a few hours or overnight) gives me a fresh perspective on it (and, ultimately, leads to better content overall!)

Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM

A good way to write content is to find what ppl are searching on google (long tail searches) and use those questions as ideas to good blog posts. There is a tool on wordtracker that allows you to search different keywords for that.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Researching is the key to writing good quality articles. Verifying the validity of gathered information follows next. Keyword research follows and you may now start writing using good english. No matter how great the ideas in the content are when a lot of grammar errors are noticeable it is no longer a 'quality' one.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I agree, research is very important first step. However, I think original approach and unique insights help. For example, I like articles that bullet down some main ideas for me. 5 things you didn't know about ..... I just love things that are devided into menaingful catageries.

Legacy Systems Services Blog

Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Grammar and spelling should be the easy part. The hard part is writing something that's actual quality and interesting rather than fluff.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I suggest subscribing to ezinearticle, the tips are valuable.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 AM

Make sure your content writers are from the country you are targeting your content for. You are much better off paying more money and writing less articles that are of high quality than filling your site and the WWW with rubbish. Build quality and they will come! We work on a minimum of 3.5 cents USA per word with no padding, just good solid facts.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web