Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

For established writers - How did you improve your writing skills?

I'm just curious how some of you guys that are professional writers got you skill level to where it is now.

Did you just write, write and write some more and you just naturally improved?

Or, did you undertake some kind of training, be it at a degree level or just by reading some books/websites about writing?

The reason I ask is that I am a new blogger, I don't want to put a bunch of rubbish out there with my name on it. I don't think I am a horrible writer but being relatively inexperienced at it, I know there is a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited by Seven3; 09-28-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I think taking writing & English classes in college helped my development quite a bit. Some natural talent sure helps, but as Stephen King once described it (oooh that's awesome that google has it), writers are never given a sharp knife to craft their trade with...though some start out with awfully big blades.

Learning the process of structuring essays makes you a better post writer. Lookit, I just automatically integrated a source, and the whole thing has a point. I don't "think" about doing that. Surely there was a time that I did have to figure it out, but now the process flows naturally. Of course, it's been about 20 years now since I started writing.
Freelance writing: https://sites.google.com/site/ncbizwriter/

Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for the response, sorry for being slack about replying but I was waiting to see if anybody else wanted to chip in. I guess all the writers are shy or busy, or maybe they just don't want to give away their secrets

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Whenever you need to write on a topic just read a lot about the topic and then create few notes on paper. Writing important points first helps in developing a good essay. After than just elaborate the points in a decent manner.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Don't worry about writing, if your English skills are good, writing is the easy part. You just have to be open to instruction.

Hmmm, this might help...

Anyway, one other thing I'd like to add... Be professional about your submissions. I recently lost a client I wanted to work with since I was obsessing about wow-ing him with an article he asked me to do, and took to much time crafting his article.

No matter what your reasons are, it's useless if you miss a deadline.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Practice.......
Read quality writing.......not to copy but to understand sentence structure used by story tellers....

Unless you are writing something formal...write like people talk....only more correct.....LOL

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Practice.......
Read quality writing.......not to copy but to understand sentence structure used by story tellers....

Unless you are writing something formal...write like people talk....only more correct.....LOL
I think this is the best tip you have got here. Along with a bit of talent, you need a good English language background. I found a lot of writers using 'Side' for 'site', 'through' for 'on'. Any body can write an essay on 'cow'...anybody can but there will be a best essay and it is the creativity and way of expression the essay has got from the writer, you need to weave around your writings such uniqueness.

I compared my writings with the best ones and have found out my weak points, on word usage, grammar, punctuation and how the article is made talking to the reader by itself. I am now improving and much much better than I used to be and get paid well too.

I have quoted the best answer here.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Grammar, you should be well versed in it. Writing is a skill so you need to practice it.
Read more articles or news from magazines and newspapers that will inspire your writing.

In english grammar there is word called "ADJECTIVE" it is

adjective - adjective is a word that describes a noun.

In any writing, you are trying to describe the Article Title or Idea So describe in variety of ways to inspire the reader.

IMHO

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

I've always loved to read and it really has helped me with my writing. Also, just keep writing it's the best way to improve it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

There can be many ways to improve your writing skills. Of course, they will improve as you write more. You can ask for feedback from others in order to help you realize the areas that need improvement. Taking writing courses can also be of some help to you.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

practice really makes perfect. Also, if writing is really your passion. You will push yourself to study and do whatever you can do to improve your skills.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_the King View Post
i am new to article writing .give me some basic start-up tips to begin with.as i never wrote articles in past but have good understanding in english
Have you looked at the sticky thread in this section yet?

Also have you read any other threads in this section yet? We have ton's of threads with helpful information already on here.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 AM

Quality comes with experience. I think in any new activity you wouldn’t create a masterpiece on the first attempt. But every written word will improve your professional skills.
I also think that for a good writing, you need a lot of reading

Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 AM

Reading has helped me a lot. I'm quite thankful that I've always loved reading. This I think has assisted me in finding my own voice. I also think that through reading, people's words, particularly those that made an impact on me, just naturally flow through my writing, which helps me translate their insights into my own.

I've not gone through any writing classes though I would like to, but now that I am writing professionally, I don't think it's needed since experience is by far still the best teacher. Another thing that i think would help writers is to subscribe to writing tips websites that offer grammar and sentence construction tips.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Cool

I have been writing for many years, it began in youth. I also read alot too which helped me with my vocabulary. I began writing poems, mostly angry ones, but gave that up once I began writing for school. I took both English Writing and Advanced Composition and Technical Writing at the university.

So now most my writing if all about technical jargon and vernacular...I no longer write or read for leisure.

Much Thanks

BiologyWebmaster

Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM

Being an Engineer by education, I took back to back classes at Harvard Extension school and highly recommend the program. During my second class I started a blog and a journal - I noticed my skills increased dramatically.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Practicing how to write and reading some good materials will nourish your writing skills. Just continue to write and submit your articles to different websites and blogs so you will be able to know if you suck or not.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I am not actually an established or good writer, but I do write contents. For me - one of the best ways to improve your writing skills is through reading a lot about informative things, and communication as well.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Hi

i wrote many press releases and lot of articles for my site.
i did work for my self, but my written press releases got easily approved and even ezine articles.

the best way to improve is practice so write more and more articles

and also improve ur grammer and communication by reading a lot of newspapers. they are the countries best editors in newspapers, u will get an idea the writing style.

i hope this helped u

Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 AM

To write better, you have to read more and write more. Especially read more stuff you normally would not read, and a wider variety.
Writing skills are a muscle, it may need more to perfect, but daily exercise will improve them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web