Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Or learn to write such a good quality that the reader "wants" to read more.....)))
I agree with this, article length should not be quantified, it should be fluid and concise.

Most of my writing is technical writing, I write long & boring articles and documents for a living, mostly involving biology.

Although what I write may be long, technical & boring...the target audience is so specific that it does get read all the way through, because it is being written for an audience which has a true genuine interest in the topic.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 AM

We should used atleast 500-1500 words depend upon Title...And write content which is SEO friendly and easy to understand..One Important thing is Quality we never compromise quality in content writing...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 AM

I am a firm believer in using as many words as it takes to get your point across to the reader. Once you have done that your job is done, don't write a word more for the sake of adding "Fluff and fillers". Besides, if your writing is engaging your reader won't suddenly stop at 400 words and cry "FOUl" this post is so interesting but I have to stop reading cuz it's gone over the "accepted" limit. - Crazy

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM

If you are writing the article for your own website, the more comprehensive article you write the better it is for your search engine optimization and search engine results. If your competition is ranking higher than you with 1,500 word articles, you need to write that much, too!

More and more, especially since Google Panda, your search rankings for any given keyword will depend on the comprehensive information provided in answer to a search query. For example, if the site's ranking above yours for a certain keyword have 1,000-word articles, that's what your site has to have, too.

A comprehensive answer is seldom given in 400 words. SEO Moz did some analysis on this and found that the most traffic and most links were obtained on posts longer than 1,500 words!

You can't shortcut on your own website. You need to provide the best answer for a search query, provide unique information not found anywhere else on the web, and appear to be an authority on the topic.

You can find writers who know your topic to produce content for you, if you feel that writing such long articles is difficult or just something that you don't want to do. Find a web content writer who understands thoroughly what needs to be accomplished. Oddly enough, magazine writers can be the best.

What you post on article sites is a different matter. Just stick to the minimum word count for them.

Last edited by snakeair; 01-14-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: merged posts/link drop removed

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

if you are thinking about article posting for benefits of SEO, then 500 words articles are ideal, they don't need to be long to get published

if you are thinking about articles for your own website to attract readers then it depends on the story/subject you want to cover... if it is a very interesting story/subject then it can be any lengths, I don't think readers mind reading long but interesting/exciting stories/news/analysis

Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM

suitable content writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaySingh View Post
What is the size of our content for suitable content writing for web?
Hi Ajay

It seems that articles now need to be nearer 700 words for websites . it used to be 400 but i think google is really looking for good content. Also, that 700 words should be rich in information and make a good read. i love writing so I do not find it a problem to write that many words but it does take practice.

jo tempest.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM

I try to stay around 500 words, definitely above 300. I think length is extremely important. Two thins you should consider is engagement and keyword density.

The most important part is writing content that readers will enjoy. If the length of your article effects reader engagement than I would try to make the piece shorter. A less important point that I would also consider is your keyword density. You want to create content that is natural but also includes your keywords. The longer the article the lower the density tends to get.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 PM

I've been told for sure over 300, probably 500 to 750.
I sometimes like to go to 1000-1200 myself

Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Natural looking content should be at-least 500 words to promote your site and get visitors. More content mean better chances of getting position in Search Engines.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaySingh View Post
What is the size of our content for suitable content writing for web?
I always try to write more than 1000 words in a post.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

If you are writing short articles to post on article sites, you may be wasting your time. Since Google Panda in February, 2011, those type of sites have been demoted for low-quality content and a link from them is of very little value.

If you are writing something for your own site, studies have shown that long-copy outweighs short-copy. SEOMoz did a study once and released a report that showed the most linked article on the site was over 5,000 words (link bait!) and that it's most popular articles were the ones over 2,000 words.

Why do people spend so much time on Wikipedia? I don't think that site has an article of 500 words!

Longer articles contain more search terms - terms you don't even know that people are looking for.

Here's some great advice:

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."
– King of Hearts to the White Rabbit in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

"There's no such thing as copy that's 'too long' but there is copy that's 'too boring.' "
– Gary Halbert (1938 - 2007), direct-response marketer

"The truth about long copy is that, first of all, there's abundant, legitimate, statistical, split-testing research to indicate that virtually without exception, long copy outperforms short copy."
– Dan Kennedy, marketer, and editor of dankennedy.com

Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

I say 500 to 800 words for a blog post. However, I have good results with just one-liners in facebook.
In yahoo answers, you just need 100 to 200 words.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

300 - 500 should be the maximum for a good user experience since we all use different social networks and read blogs and stuff - no one has time for a 1.000 words long text. In my opinion at least.. Am I wrong?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_The_Stripper View Post
300 - 500 should be the maximum for a good user experience since we all use different social networks and read blogs and stuff - no one has time for a 1.000 words long text. In my opinion at least.. Am I wrong?
What are your competitors doing? Long text or short text?

The people who actually visit your site are looking for information that answers their search queries. They may not be reading blogs and visiting social networks every day as someone in the website industry might be doing. If someone wants to know which is the best laptop to buy or how to cure their child of cancer, they usually want a full answer with important advice.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM

Hm seems legit. But for instance, I am writing about Social Advertising in german for the austrian audience. So there is a small but very active community whithin that niche.

So these guys - so as I - are reading dozens of blogs and other online journals in order to be up to date. So this is my point of view: I believe that - like on 9gag or Facebook - no one want's to read 1.000 words just to get the information demanded to cure their child.

They want it in brief, in a good shape and as short as possible.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

I am only using from 300 to 400 range and I guess my audience are more satisfied with the length. As long as the information is complete and verifiable, I am really sure it will satisfy my readers on one hand and the crawlers on the other.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_The_Stripper View Post
Hm seems legit. But for instance, I am writing about Social Advertising in german for the austrian audience. So there is a small but very active community whithin that niche.

So these guys - so as I - are reading dozens of blogs and other online journals in order to be up to date. So this is my point of view: I believe that - like on 9gag or Facebook - no one want's to read 1.000 words just to get the information demanded to cure their child.

They want it in brief, in a good shape and as short as possible.
You know your audience and, whatever you decide, should post for their benefit. It might be a great idea (and generate some interest) to run a poll on your site and ask your audience what it wants from you. You could even tie this in with a social marketing campaign and generate some buz. People in all countries love an interactive site where they can contribute to decisions and where someone is actually listening to their opinions.

There are also some survey apps you can use on your site.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 AM

Thanks Mollie for the advices :-)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Hello

It tends to vary, about 1000 words is suitable for fresh content articles on your blog.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

"The truth about long copy is that, first of all, there's abundant, legitimate, statistical, split-testing research to indicate that virtually without exception, long copy outperforms short copy."
Dan Kennedy, marketer, and editor of dankennedy.com

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread