Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Lies Writers Tell To Cripple Your SEO Copywriting

Before you post a comment, take a look at the blog post. A lot of the myth's mentioned is what we hear all the time and even on this forum.

Quote:
Even the newest of SEOs and marketers understand how important content is to developing a brand presence. Your content is who you are. It’s your voice in the market and what you use to convey your message to customers. It’s through the combination of your Web site copy, your blog, your article marketing, your pitches, and your social updates that you reach prospective customers and turn them on until they become full-blown customers. There’s just one problem.

You…well, you can’t write. Or at least that’s what you’ve been telling yourself for the past thirty years.

Because you don’t believe you can write, you seek out advice, often from writers (or self-proclaimed ones). You ask for...
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/branding/s...ywriting-lies/

Care to share any thoughts on this whole blog post?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

very nice article. Good thing that I haven't experience that. It's really a funny coz real writers won't give such advice.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Ah, the music bit does help though. I can't write without it, but not music that distracts me either. I have music from David Arkenstone that I listen to when I write. No lyrics, just music. I don't Kevin bacon at all, lol although it might be due to space in my 'office'.

Writing is an art, but its something everyone can do, if they put your mind to it. ADD or not. What they say is true though, you have to take your own words, and give readers what they want, but in their words. How else would you be able to talk to them. Writing as if you're an English professor only works if you're writing for other English professors. Everyone else would just skip your blog because you are writing in a way that they cannot understand.

Best thing I can think of is to put yourself in your client's shoes. Know what they want and cater for it. And research before you write. Giving them stats is a good way to show them how your product is better than others. Subtle product comparisons or benchmarks. People always want to know what their options are before they make a decision. (IMHO).

Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Maybe I just spent too many years writing in a newsroom where you heard everything from police scanners blasting to screaming matches between reporters and producers, but I simply cannot write (or do any work of any magnitude) without some kind of music in the background. Other than that, I completely agree with all of the other points in that article.

I think it's important to remember, however, that reading all of the tips in the world isn't necessarily going to make you a great writer. Heck, you could give me books of advice on drawing, and I still wouldn't be able to come up with more than a stick figure! A big part of writing well means harnessing natural talent.

For some reason, though, everyone thinks they can be a writer... like it isn't that hard or something. Dan Patrick (the famous former SportsCenter anchor) mentioned this in his book. He didn't get it, either. And, as he so eloquently pointed out, "it's not like I watch an episode of ER and think that I can be a brain surgeon."

Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Could be connected to a person's life experience......
Writing police reports in a squad room full of cops might take some concentration...

Music or no music.......I like music, but I do not believe it affects anything I write.....

For example....I took two years of music theory in school......still can't write music worth a darn.....LOL

Writing is not hard....
Developing good ideas might just be.....

Writing a blog post while your wife is talking to you....can be a bit difficult.....yes dear.....

Last edited by Jim Gillum; 01-31-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
.....I like music, but I do not believe it affects anything I write.....

For example....I took two years of music theory in school......still can't write music worth a darn.....LOL.....
I've been a musician for about 20 years (was professional even...), but never followed any education for it. The best music comes from within...as does the best writing. That's what makes others want to listen to your music...or to read your content.

If the writing is real you'll grab your prospect's full attention soon enough. No need to pretend...

Andre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web