Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Research tools for blog and article writing

What tools and techniques really work for you when gathering information for writing your articles. I'm finding that I am really inefficient in researching and retrieving off-line and online ideas, information and so forth.

I am about to revamp how I do things to hopefully boost my output and quality of work, and I thought this would be the perfect group to help me out. Thanks to all.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Try Google's keyword tool https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeti...=KEYWORD_IDEAS think it will help you.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 AM

Here are a couple good ideas that may spark your writing.

-Always have a few large copies of dictionaries and other writing / language books laying around the office / house for inspiration.

-Force yourself to write. Take on any small / quick writing job you can and challenge yourself with a variety of subjects. Practice. Practice. Practice. The more you do it the more naturally it will come.

-Source the most up to date information you can find on the topic. Twitter and top forums are usually the best place to start.

-Use tools like Google Trends and Google Insights to see what the world is searching for

-Network with other writers

-Take a writing course

There is really so many ways to get your creative writing juices flowing its just a matter of where you want to start and what you think will work best for you.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Writing is not that hard as long as research is done the proper way. I know many that claim you should go look at lame ezine articles and create your articles from what you read there. This is not research no matter what anybody says, this is the lazy and ineffective way to create more junk for the internet.

If you do proper keyword research you should have no problem writing (proper article formatting is another story). When doing keyword research you should be looking for semantically related words as these related words not only will give you higher rankings but also help you write.

For example let's say our keyword is: Social media optimization

Our related words are: search engine marketing, social media presence, brand awareness, search engine rankings, more website traffic

You would take these keywords and add then on a text file like:

Social media optimization search engine marketing social media presence brand awareness search engine rankings more website traffic

Then you would write around the words to form sentences. Doing this half of your sentences are already written and it gives your article more weight because you are using semantically related words.

For example using these keywords you would write something like:

Quote:
Social media optimization is a vital part of search engine marketing. It is imperative for you to have a social media presence for your business. This helps your business in several different ways, including:

* Brand Awareness
* Search Engine Rankings
* More Website Traffic
Do this same thing for about 12 or so sentences and you will have a full article in no time at all. Make sure you do not keyword stuff your article by repeating the same keywords 10 times over. Use many related words and you should have no problems.

This is just a simple basic first step into writing proper articles for search engines and readers both. There is more that goes into this process but this is a step that you must learn first before producing properly written articles.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

Writers often use a layout to accurately and constructively portray their message. I think if you do this (don't know if you don't) you will find the research much easier. I've noticed that a lot of off-line research helped me a great deal a few years ago...sadly I've drifted from that tool. However, going to a library with on-line and off-line content will certainly open the doors of information.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I find Alexa also a good resource for ideas beside Google Trends. Basically when it comes to articles writing, you must first love to read that you will have rich resources of ideas and vocabulary.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Now that is what I call "HELP", awesome tip. I am going to try that, my writing skills are so rusty all Ezine does is turn me down. By the time I get done editing it sounds worse than it did to begin with. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Stop wasting your time with a useless article directory such as ezine articles. Spend your time with places that really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysprks View Post
Now that is what I call "HELP", awesome tip. I am going to try that, my writing skills are so rusty all Ezine does is turn me down. By the time I get done editing it sounds worse than it did to begin with. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 AM

OK!

Then tell me who really matters, don't just leave me hanging on a thread out there, we can all teach each other something so don't hold back. SHARE if you know something. I am new to this and waste a lot of valuable time searching for answers right now ezine is all I have heard about.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

The problem here is you have those so called gurus out that have been preaching for years for you to submit to ezine articles (and other useless article directories). They do this because they normally have some useless product to sell you such as a lame software spinner that produces garbage.

Article marketing is NOT about backlinks as many preach because the fact is (yes I said fact) all those lame adsense filled article directories can't give you any link juice and thus any backlinks are devalued. You might as well submit your site to 1,000 bookmarking pligg sites because they hold the same value.

I personally tested 1,200+ article directories (including those so called top article directories) for 12 months. I submitted unique high quality content did some social validation and tested. The results was as expected, these places are useless for search rankings for your websites.

I then built my own article directory with a huge syndication network based on the testing I did. All of my sites are 100% ad free, do follow, and do pass link juice. The reason why is simple, article marketing was designed to empower YOUR website and increase the rankings of YOUR website.

I have not submitted to any other article directory since and I do have brand new sites that are only 1 month old that are a PR 2 and fast climbing to the top 100,000 sites on alexa (alexa is useless but it can give some idea on what a site does).

I teach my members what real article marketing is, how to do it properly, how to write content that ranks, and etc. If you really want to learn the real way to do article marketing then click on my sig and become a member of my network.

(note to mods: I am answering the question of the poster, if you feel this is too self promotional then you may remove it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysprks View Post
Then tell me who really matters, don't just leave me hanging on a thread out there, we can all teach each other something so don't hold back. SHARE if you know something. I am new to this and waste a lot of valuable time searching for answers right now ezine is all I have heard about.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well for my particular niche (DIY/ Hobbyist) it's really hard to find information with DIYing yourself..I made a list of my competitors and attempted to find their sources...

Visit EngineeringHacks.com for useful information and hacks!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

This is one of the major problems because you have so called gurus out there that say you should spend all your time looking at competition. They are DEAD WRONG!

Who says your competition did their research right ?

Nothing wrong with finding some of your competition resources and getting links in the same places (if they are good links). You need to do your own research though and learn as much as you can about your own niche.

Start with the most basic keywords / related words

diy
how to
crafts
handyman
do it yourself
craft ideas
diy crafts

Can you write a sentence on those ? You should be able to write an entire paragraph with those words. Now all you need to do is drill on down other related phrases and words. Although I do not use google adwords tool because it is geared for adwords, it will give you related words and related keywords.

Find a list of 200 related words and that will be good enough to write 10 pages of keyword rich content. Take this keyword rich content and create pages or blog post on your own site. Then syndicate the content to places such as multiply.com, livejournal.com, jamespot.com, and etc.

Use the keywords in the content to link back to your site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehacker View Post
Well for my particular niche (DIY/ Hobbyist) it's really hard to find information with DIYing yourself..I made a list of my competitors and attempted to find their sources...

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Of course, the obvious answer would be the internet, but honestly, I prefer getting information from books and other tangible resources because before these were published, it was made sure that all the information are correct and credible. Information in the internet can be edited and tampered with so you cannot really be sure if it's accurate. You can also watch television for news and updates about almost anything around the world. Keeping up with news will make your topics more timely and interesting. You can also interview persons who have extensive knowledge about the topic you chose on writing about.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Internet is the first place for your researches. If the topic is complicated you may use some books or some relevant resources like Google Books and statistics. But before making a research and start to write you should make a brief brainstorming and clear out the ideas that you will write about. This way you will know what to look for without hesitation. This will save your time.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 AM

I exhaust all means to find information in Google by searching through web or image. Other good sources of information in doing a research are Wikipedia, Yahoo.com and Ask.com.

Last edited by Janice; 07-20-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web