Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Who Are You Writing To?

Don't just post a response like I'm writing to my followers or writing for the search engines, read the blog post and post your feedback then. You just might learn something new reading the blog post.

Quote:
Who you talk to defines what information you assume known; it changes how you talk about what.

There's a difference in what you talk about and how you talk about it when talking to someone from your industry and someone from outside of it. You also address a potential client different from a family member asking "so, what do you do?". I'm sure you can think of a lot of other differentiators.

Before you start writing you need to tell yourself who you're writing to.

Simple Groups

Your business experience and daily life is rich in example groups and customer profiles. Use those.

As a plumber you don't just write for "people with plumbing problems". You encounter:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...-write-to.html

Any feedback?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Hmm, Its not just about tossing information out there, but carefully crafting a post to make sure that anyone that visits yours site will find something interesting. If you look at it from that perspective it could actually give you more to write about. Something like that can help with really difficult topics as well I think. You just have to have feelers out there to see what people generally understand about your topic of choice and then give them information about what they don't know about.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

It was a good reminder as one does tend to forget who their customer is. My customers are mostly Baby-Boomers with expendable income - and sure I know that. But sometimes when writing (tedious to begin with) you just want to get thru it and kind of forget your target market.

When you do remember, it's easy to throw in a few key words/phrases/links/etc that target the group you are going after.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

I thought that borrowing the "Joe the Plumber" from the Republicans was very effective.

In thinking about who "Joe" would be writing to, he brought up enough descriptions to have me considering those little old ladies that want to grow purdy flowers... reading my posts...

But... I haven't really been writing to them... mostly I write to people that want to see pictures of purdy flowers n butterflies.

How do we tell that we've been successful?

By the number of comments?

Or maybe by the people that were impressed enough by our forum posts to come visit us... and then write a pm to us at the forum asking for further info... I've had that happen.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Keeping the theme of the post and site is important. If the reader clicks on the title and expects to read about "Joe" then "Joe" better also be under the theme of the site itself. Sometimes, websites find creative ways to stretch their content and still maintain their image.

I find blogging to be kinda weird though. It seems that bloggers can post whatever "their life" brings. Mostly, though, people reading the blog are there for one reason...to read about the adventures in their life.
For example, if you read "Joe's" blog about his personal political happenings but then find a post on his site about cooking, well, to me, that is a total distraction.

Just my opinion.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web