Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Latest Blog:
None

What is the Definition of a Newsworthy Press Release

the current thinking about press releases as it relates to SEO is that they must be newsworthy to have any positive impact. my question is "what is the definition of newsworthy?" my company has published press releases on the web regarding things like new product lines and new business partnerships. are those types of events considered newsworthy?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Hi,

The word news means the stuffs which are quite new. As well, topics that are known as excellent news.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Newsworthy means your press release interests or something valuable for your target readers. Just like submitting press release for print, it must be timely, relevant, and with human interest.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinedwin View Post
the current thinking about press releases as it relates to SEO is that they must be newsworthy to have any positive impact. my question is "what is the definition of newsworthy?" my company has published press releases on the web regarding things like new product lines and new business partnerships. are those types of events considered newsworthy?
I wish there was a definitive answer as to whether those events would be considered newsworthy but the criteria does vary somewhat depending on the company/industry/reporter in question.

For instance, if a high profile company like Research in Motion announces a new product, it's a given that it will get picked up by the media. For a lower profile company there would have to be something distinctive about the new product, e.g. it's notably more efficient or much cheaper than competitive offerings. In the absence of such attributes, it may not get media coverage but perhaps be covered in a trade publication.

Same with new business partnerships - you have to be able to compellingly demonstrate why that alliance will benefit your target market and in turn, your company. An acquisition or divestiture may also be considered newsworthy for the reasons I cited.

Other newsworthy events would be key customer wins (based on large dollar amounts, entry into new geographic markets and/or high profile customers).

The hiring or departure of c-level executives is another example of an event that may be considered newsworthy, again depending on the profile of the company in question and whether or not it's publicly traded.

This is the short list. Hope that helps.

Last edited by anjelica7; 09-07-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: punctuation

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web