Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Writer's Block

Hello fellow forummers!

I have a problem..Everytime I want to write something, I freeze up and don't finish. I think I feel like something will go wrong..What if I get sued for referencing something that shouldn't have been? Or what if its not what my demographic wants to hear and so I ward off more potential visitors? What if this continues for the rest of my webmaster career?! Im at a loss...anyone else ever deal with this and can provide any assistance?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 AM

At some stage of the game, anyone who produces their own content is going to experience writers block. If I'm struggling, I'll get hold of a magazine or book related to the industry that I'm writing about about and using THEIR content I'll do one of the following to create my own content.

Compile lists...
Do's and dont's
Best practice
10 reasons to / 10 reasons not to / 10 steps to

Or...
Re-write articles

Or...

Learn something new about the topic that I didn't know and sit there feeling rather pleased with myself! (Not so good for your own website but a good morale booster!)

This IS premium content that your audience / demographic are starved for (they're buying the books and magazines after all!) and although you haven't written it from the ground up, it's still being communicated using your own words (or your own digital voice) depending upon how you look at it.

Clearly, it's not a long term solution but generally writers block is only a short term problem!

This is also a great tip for people starting off who want to write good quality, informative content but don't know where to start and don't have the money for content writers.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM

You don't have writters block, you have a good old dose of "The Fear" However, if your sources are reserached correctly there is no need to worry about getting sued. As for hitting the mark with your target customer base, just be honest and provide value. Value, Value

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

You should read your previous writings and try to rewrite them in a new way. Hope these could help you. Cheers.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

I usually don't have writer's block, but it does happen from time to time...I learned a technique in college where you don't think about the format of what you are writing (i.e) introduction, body, conclusion...

You just start writing whatever comes to mind, don't even worry about making paragraphs, just continue writing. After you come up with the content, then you can format it, move sentences around, etc...

Once you are done with that, save the file, exit the word processing program and forget about everything you just wrote. Come back to it tommorow, re-read it and you will find additional things to add which could not come to you when you first wrote it.

I hope this helps!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM

If in the middle of your writing you tend to be unproductive already, take time to rest.
Close your eyes and lean your back. Relax.. You can even do a little stretching..

Then you go back to your computer and continue writing..

Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Hi ehacker,

I think this isn't writer's block, either (or it may be a mutated version of it )

However, if you're afraid of getting sued for something you say, you can relax:

1, It's VERY unlikely that anyone will sue you if something bad happens to them because of something you said. They probably won't even remember.

2, It's VERY unlikely that anything bad will happen to anyone by reading your content. Or if there is a bigger chance, you know what you should correct.

3, And third, there's a rather old invention you can use to lift this weight off your shoulders and sleep well at night, knowing that nothing bad can happen to you: USE A DISCLAIMER!!!

This is something every website/blog/business should have anyway, and it's relatively easy to find a free template on the net that you can customize. Just perform a simple Google search for "free website disclaimer template" (without the quotes).

For example, at my site, here's a short quote that could help you protect yourself from any legal cases:

Quote:
Disclaimer

business-online-guidance.com provides this website as a service. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this website is correct, complete, and/or up-to-date.

The materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice on any subject matter.

business-online-guidance.com does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site.
Feel free to use that yourself. However, again, I don't think you should be afraid of anything bad happening because f your content.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Here's an idea: treat everything you do as an experiment, and you get to find out what happens. When you do a chemistry experiment, you naturally wear goggles and have a fire extinguisher ready, plus adequate ventilation. You do exactly the same when you do a webmaster experiment, too! Do your due diligence research and fact-checking, and as posted here already, use a disclaimer.

When everything is an experiment, then the outcome is never a failure - it's feedback. Most experiments "fail", and knowing that going in, you can be relaxed. If you've built a decent relationship with your audience, then they shouldn't desert you en masse over a small honest mistake, especially if you openly admit it and tell them how much you learned from it. OK, a very few may, but they would have left sooner or later anyway, over some trivial tiff or other. What really matter are the relationship you build over time with your audience and your obvious good intentions for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehacker View Post
Hello fellow forummers!

I have a problem..Everytime I want to write something, I freeze up and don't finish. I think I feel like something will go wrong..What if I get sued for referencing something that shouldn't have been? Or what if its not what my demographic wants to hear and so I ward off more potential visitors? What if this continues for the rest of my webmaster career?! Im at a loss...anyone else ever deal with this and can provide any assistance?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM

Move forward...as mentioned ...do your research...
In the US opinions are protected speech...(mostly).....
Express them as such.....
Factual information is usually easy to confirm....

When my mind freezes.....(at my age frequently)...I step away from my work....
I have the equivalent of writer's block when I paint....
Part way through a piece, things just don't "feel" right.....
wait it out.....
Let the miracle of the human mind process all the data....is will come out right....))

Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM

I think free flowing original content about a topic you love is easy to do.

Writers block is more likely when you have deadlines or you are doing an affiliate you have no love for. Keep up your fitness, and enjoy the process is what I recommend.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

Hey!
Thanks all for the responses. I'm just getting back because I stopped getting responses after the first month or so I think. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone else use the 'free write' method? I learned this in high school where we had 5 minutes and a journal to write whatever popped in our head and I mean whatever. Just a full barrage of thoughts, partial thoughts or anything that is language. I once wrote 'orange juice' like 16 times but it really helps with writers block and other problems. Try it!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web