Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Watch Where You Write

Opinions on this blog are more then welcomed.

Quote:
When you put time and creativity into sharing your thoughts online with an audience, do you care about fully owning where that experience takes place?

Increasingly, writers are turning to third party platforms to host their works instead of maintaining their own blogs. They're finding readers at places like Medium, Svbtle, Twitter, and Facebook. I'm one of them, but lately I've been wavering over where I want to put my thoughts down on digital paper.

The platforms mentioned above have built..
Continued at: http://readwrite.com/2013/11/13/own-...on5sJBAgJz0PmG

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I would agree that writing where you have control of the situation like your own site is much better.

Some of you reading might not have been around when Yahoo! had GeoCities. People built their own business around this free hosting and when it was closed there was no way for you to redirect the search engines, your customers or your followers to your new location.

I was looking at my website logins the other day and noticed a few other sites that are gone now and the same thing happened.

While you do need to get the word out about you and/or your site I would consider putting your best work on your own site and consider the other locations supplemental so if they disappear it won't be as devastating to your business.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:28 PM

I don't lose sleep over the possibility that everything I post on a third party platform might vanish because although I would like to think someone would value what I say, I look at my posts as bits of conversation. I could think of face to face converstions I've had with people and we had a good time, especially the ones were I got them to chuckle or laugh and I thought I told a good joke. But it never occurred to me I should make sure I record them for posterity. However, I would be very upset if anything on my own site was lost.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

I used to write articles to my own blog. Sometimes I do guest posting. As per my experience, I always look/think for the right intent of the content based on where I want to put them.

For example, if I want to make some reviews or my contents are going to tee up something, I would rather place it somewhere else (of course given that the platform will give me a good number of traffic).

And if I want to write something that requires lots of studies and tests, I would of course choose to post it on my blog and share it through social media.

Generally, I don't know if what I do is right. But as I can see, it all goes well.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

I like the sites (website builders) where you can start free but they give you an option to upgrade. That's what I am using now. I plan to upgrade. I was using blogger and I was a victim of when they went on the stint of shutting down sites. However, blogger does not give you an option to upgrade and to make your business professional. You can write free forever but there is a cost and it is a ghastly one. The cost is you could lose everything one day.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Also: posting/writing online is similar to posting an edvertisement: if I am promoting a law firm, I will not write in "candied camera", jokers websites. Everything a seller gives to the web/real life should have a meaning.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web