Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM
v7n Mentor

Grade Level Targeting

I scour the web from time to time about writing and tips etc for copy writing. I am in no way a professional copy writer. I do wonder though, at what grade level do you target your articles when it comes to their understandability?

Most of my articles tend to range between the 13 to 16 year old range, grade range around he 8th to 9th grade level. To be honest I had never really put much thought into writing to a specific grade level but I do go way out of my way to speak in a consistent non Geek Speak way

So do you consider this when writing or does it just come out the way it comes out?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

Actually when I go through the all content on my websites, I don't see anything that fit people bellow 18 years old. All my content is for matured people, that's a thing that comes by itself when you start a website knowing what your targeted visitors are meant to be.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:08 AM

These days, the average reading level is very high even in the sixth grade, so that's not really a factor. Still this will depend on what you're writing about. Is it a very technical topic or something from a tech niche such as IT security? If so, then write for that person, who is likely well versed in the niche vocabulary. You won't have to dumb it down for them.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 AM
v7n Mentor

Most of what I publish is directed toward both the computer literate and illiterate. I don't dumb it down but tend to word it so that anyone can relate

I keep in mind what one person told me once. They purposely ask questions and request reworded answers thinking if the person answering can't provide the answer in a different and more easily understandable way then they likely don't really understand what they are saying...that made a lt of sense to me when they said that...

Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

It depends on the exact topic. For example, Top 5 Copywriting Blogs to Follow is a simple topic and the language should follow.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Most of what I publish is directed toward both the computer literate and illiterate. I don't dumb it down but tend to word it so that anyone can relate

I keep in mind what one person told me once. They purposely ask questions and request reworded answers thinking if the person answering can't provide the answer in a different and more easily understandable way then they likely don't really understand what they are saying...that made a lt of sense to me when they said that...
I do the same. I write in a way that even if a kid is reading he can understand the point that I am trying to make. At the same time, the content is interesting for both adults and kids.

Somebody gave you wise advice. I read a quote by Einstein once, " If you can't explain it simply, then you don't know it well enough"

Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketist View Post
I do the same. I write in a way that even if a kid is reading he can understand the point that I am trying to make. At the same time, the content is interesting for both adults and kids.

Somebody gave you wise advice. I read a quote by Einstein once, " If you can't explain it simply, then you don't know it well enough"
Perfect quote

Old 12-10-2014, 03:52 PM

For anyone looking for specific scoring of their content, this free website allows you to get an automated Flesch Readability score (and other readability metrics) for the text you paste in:

https://readability-score.com/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web