Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The irony in this thread is outstanding.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2016, 10:34 AM

its not hard , actually its easy for a person that know writhing about what , copyright its good but in many country that`s not mean for webmasters.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 AM

No it is not true in fact India is the second country in the world after USA speaking English. We know that copy writing is not that easy but some of the bloggers like Harsh agarwal have achieved the position of top blogger in the world.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

I am not passionate in writing but I can rewrite simple article. You should practice and ask your friend to proofread your work, in that way you can practice your skill.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Of course it is, like any other creative process. If it weren't difficult, everyone would be doing it & be good at it. Having said that, you can definitely improve yourself through practice. The more articles, blog posts etc you write, the better you get at it. Apart from writing, you also need to read. Read mostly good content, but also some bad stuff. Then over a period of time, you'll learn to recognize good from bad & push yourself towards writing good.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Having said that, you can definitely improve yourself through practice. The more articles, blog posts etc you write, the better you get at it. Apart from writing, you also need to read. Read mostly good content, but also some bad stuff. Then over a period of time, you'll learn to recognize good from bad & push yourself towards writing good.
Sorry Vaguar, I have to disagree to a certain extent.

You can't learn grammar just through repetition of process. If you rely on grammar checkers then you are beholden to programmers, who often have no better grammar skills than the average 12 year old.

People are also (generalisation alert!!!) delusional in a lot of cases, and don't take kindly to criticism, so using a 'self-recognition' type of 'learning journey' isn't going to work. Friends won't even tell each other the truth for fear of upset.

In my circle of friends, and colleagues, I am renowned for straight talking and honesty...no BS just to make people feel good. If it's good I will say so, if it's bad I will say so.

Last edited by Woomeister; 01-23-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Grammar!!! Irony Alert!!!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
Sorry Vaguar, I have to disagree to a certain extent.

You can't learn grammar just through repetition of process. If you rely on grammar checkers then you are beholden to programmers, who often have no better grammar skills than the average 12 year old.

People are also (generalisation alert!!!) delusional in a lot of cases, and don't take kindly to criticism, so using a 'self-recognition' type of 'learning journey' isn't going to work. Friends won't even tell each other the truth for fear of upset.

In my circle of friends, and colleagues, I am renowned for straight talking and honesty...no BS just to make people feel good. If it's good I will say so, if it's bad I will say so.
You may not be able to improve upon grammar my friend, but as long as you can improve upon your creativity & keep your readers interested, isn't it all that matters? I used to write content like boring old office memos once upon a time but now I've learned to do better!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
You may not be able to improve upon grammar my friend, but as long as you can improve upon your creativity & keep your readers interested, isn't it all that matters? I used to write content like boring old office memos once upon a time but now I've learned to do better!
True...but I think you understand my point.

It's very much niche dependant. I write a lot on green energy for the commercial sector. Procurement managers are looking for detail and technical information, which is hardly the sort of thing you can be creative with or find interesting. I also write for the health/fitness sector where the style is completely different.

So we were probably coming from completely different angles in our answer.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Procurement managers are looking for detail and technical information, which is hardly the sort of thing you can be creative with or find interesting.
Oh yes, technical writing is a completely different animal. I once took one on. There were no set standards, they weren't clear what they wanted & the requirements kept on changing. Worst assignment ever. Haven't taken on another one since then & don't intend to either.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

You gotta know the English language pretty well.. otherwise you're not gonna have a great impact.

For me, copywriting is easy.. it takes time to really think about what needs to be said though.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick M View Post
You gotta know the English language pretty well.. otherwise you're not gonna have a great impact.

For me, copywriting is easy.. it takes time to really think about what needs to be said though.
Agreed, but there are many views on what is good English.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Agreed, but there are many views on what is good English.
It also depends on the context.. (like you've already pointed out) for example, if you're just shooting the s*** on a webmaster forum, it doesn't matter in the same way when you're being paid $17,000 for a long form sales letter, right?

And.. it also comes down to the niche you're operating in at that moment.. say.. if you're writing a VLS for a financial services firm, then you're gonna be using different language than when you're writing outrageous clickbait headlines for a clean living blog..

The conversation is different.. not just varying from niche to niche, but also on the medium that you're using to deliver the message.

Last edited by Mick M; 02-07-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Spot on.

Many people write blogs in the completely wrong tone.

One bug bear of mine is the use of 'we', when writing a piece. Gone are the days when readers were fooled into the presumption that the use of 'we' gives credence to the cause of the writer. Or gives a false impression of size of company..."we will do whatever it takes to....", "We are the best in the business" BS!!!

great article here on bad practices that some should note. https://enveritasgroup.com/campfire/...rst-practices/

Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Spot on.

Many people write blogs in the completely wrong tone.

One bug bear of mine is the use of 'we', when writing a piece. Gone are the days when readers were fooled into the presumption that the use of 'we' gives credence to the cause of the writer. Or gives a false impression of size of company..."we will do whatever it takes to....", "We are the best in the business" BS!!!

great article here on bad practices that some should note.
Nice link here. Encourage everyone to read this, if just for the first and second tips!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 AM
Latest Blog:
None

You get what you pay for. Cheap copywriting is often bad copy.

However, cheap bad copy is good enough for non-native speakers and also much of the stuff on the web is for bots like Google and not really for the web.

Lots of Indians write link farms which pass SEO link juice, but no one really writes so something that would get you a C in English class in the US or UK is good enough.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarfudd View Post
However, cheap bad copy is good enough for non-native speakers
If I was looking for a product or service, and landed on an "English" language site, where the verbiage was sub-standard in terms of sentence structure, grammar and spelling issues - I'd leave that site right away.

Quote:
and also much of the stuff on the web is for bots like Google and not really for the web.
This is very contradictory. We create sites for users so we can impart, sell and such. Saying most "stuff on the web is for bots" and " not really for the web", well, why even have a site created in the first place if we're not interested in converting visitors into clients?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
You get what you pay for. Cheap copywriting is often bad copy.

However, cheap bad copy is good enough for non-native speakers and also much of the stuff on the web is for bots like Google and not really for the web.

Lots of Indians write link farms which pass SEO link juice, but no one really writes so something that would get you a C in English class in the US or UK is good enough.
Absolute rubbish...

Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 AM

your articles is a soul of your website, if your article is not good then your website ranking drop down. so Best way to learn good English.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM

tis easy

It's really not hard if you've got a passion. Just make some good research and you can come up with the content ideas.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:02 AM

dear guys they simply copy from google and edit some words and updated

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread