Originally Posted by abdul124
I am new to blogging and want to know the best method of writing for users of my blog.
This is a really broad question that is nearly impossible to answer.
When you ask for feedback on something like this you need to provide some insight into exactly what you mean.
...plus a link to your blog wouldn't hurt.
By "method" do you mean how to write, how to make it engaging, what topics to write about, etc.?
My guess is you're talking about a personal blog with no exact topical focus so that's what I'll respond to.
When writing for the web the #1 thing above all else that you need to do is write about topics you're passionate about. Writing about topics you have little to no knowledge of or experience in more often than not comes across in your article body.
You may not see it but any intelligent reader will.
If you have to research every time you want to write something you're wasting both your and your audiences time UNLESS
you are researching to help breath credibility or background into something you already know about.
The other thing people will tell you is not to write for Search Engines and this too is true but I'd like to elaborate on it just a bit.
Somewhere in the back of you're mind you need to be aware that you are writing for Search Engines but you need to put it into perspective to be successful.
One thing that really helps me is I observe the following structure:
- Pick interested topics I enjoy writing about
- Write for myself and my audience (we are one in the same)
- NEVER write for Search Engines, EDIT for Search Engines.
Good writing is a creative process and in my opinion you can't be creative if you're trying to write for a bot.
Switching gears, there are many ways to ensure your writing has the best chance of keeping your audience interested.
I took a business writing course a number of years ago and still utilize many of it's techniques in my web writing (sadly none in this post though lol
Some tips I use regularly are as follows:
- Never publish prior to editing
- Never edit prior to 24 hours after first draft
- If multiple edits are required then multiple edits are required (I once edited an article 35 times to make it interesting and get it to Page 1 in Google)
- Don't edit yourself out of your copy unless paid or directed to do so
- State your opinion but try not to preach (like I'm doing here lol)
- Remember, the typical reading level of your audience is Grade 6 (no joke)
- Keep sentences to a maximum of 18 words
- When is it ok to start a new paragraph? Whenever the hell you want (1 sentence paragraphs are perfectly acceptable)
- Add images and SEO them!
- Remember the F shape reading rule
I can go on and on and on and on and on but this is enough for now I'm sure.