Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 05-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Open-Ended vs. Closed-Ended Questions

This post from usability experts Nielsen Norman Group was written for when you are doing research but after reading it I thought that it could also help you when writing for the web and help you create interaction on your blog posts.

Quote:
Open-ended questions prompt people to answer with sentences, lists, and stories. Closed-ended questions limit possible answers.
Open-Ended vs. Closed-Ended Questions in User Research

After reading the article, what do you think? Would this guideline help you to get more comments on your article or maybe even on social media?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitko7 View Post
I vote for close ended, because if you dont have contact form on your website, why do you need open ended? Same is in reverse.
What does having a contact form have to do with whether or not your writing leaves people wanting to provide more than a Yes-or-No answer?

Can I help you?
vs
How can I help you?
vs
I recommend option 3 that fits your needs. How do you see that option working for you?

If you just provide a question that can be answered with a simple yes or no and you are prospecting new clients, you have made it very easy for them to send you on your way.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

BTW, I was at the Dentist yesterday. While working on your mouth, they like to ask close-ended questions, but before and after the work, we had some nice open-ended chatter.

-- cd :O)

Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCD View Post
BTW, I was at the Dentist yesterday.
My turn tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCD View Post
While working on your mouth, they like to ask close-ended questions, but before and after the work, we had some nice open-ended chatter.
My hygienist tends to ask a lot of questions that I can only grunt; "huh" or "aha" to. Occasionally, it's an open ended question and I just have to say "I hun ha", which in dentist speak is "I don't know".

Old 05-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
This post from usability experts Nielsen Norman Group was written for when you are doing research but after reading it I thought that it could also help you when writing for the web and help you create interaction on your blog posts.

Open-Ended vs. Closed-Ended Questions in User Research

After reading the article, what do you think? Would this guideline help you to get more comments on your article or maybe even on social media?
Good article. Open ended questions certainly give you more insight. But the problem I see, when creating surveys, is that open ended questions (1) demand more from the respondent, and (2) aren't easily categorized.

For example, if you survey car buyers, you can create a matrix question asking the people to rate the factors that influence their car buying decisions on a scale of 1 to 5, and give them 10 or so known factors to rate.

Once the data is collected, you can easily say, oh, so fuel economy doesn't matter much to this segment, and expected reliability is all-important to this other segment.

If you asked, What influences your car buying decisions? and left the field blank, you would give a thousand different answers, some of which would require follow-up to properly understand.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web