Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

5 Tips for Writing About Complex Topics

I prefer easy topic's these days. In a lazy phase right now. Check out this blog post.

Quote:
Some subjects are harder to write for than others. It may be due to a lack of audience familiarity, the presence of technical terms and concepts, or the sheer depth of the subject matter, but in any case, itís difficult to write about these subjects without scaring users away or alienating them entirely.

For example, writing about legal topics like bankruptcy depends on explaining complex legal systems to an (often) uninformed reader, so your style and content structure needs to take that in mind.
Continued at: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/5-tips-...omplex-topics/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

I've always found that complex topics are best explained through a video (with an optional transcript to help someone digest the topic). Of course, diagrams, illustrations etc in the transcript make that digestion process that much easier.

But I find this part of the post to be puzzling

Quote:
Similarly, writing about computer programming subjects like Ruby on Rails can be intimidating to anyone unfamiliar with the nature of the language
If I am not an expert in something as technical as Ruby on Rails, I wouldn't go near the topic, simple or complex. Imagine if someone decided to start blogging about nuclear physics someday! They wouldn't be write even a simple post without having thorough knowledge first!

Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
I've always found that complex topics are best explained through a video (with an optional transcript to help someone digest the topic). Of course, diagrams, illustrations etc in the transcript make that digestion process that much easier.
Exactly, one of my oldest friends has a video production company and we came up with this to explain a rather technical and mundane subject as it makes it easier to get your point across without boring the hell out of people... https://vimeo.com/72692540

This is not self promotion! Just a contextual example, hence why I've posted the vimeo version rather than my youtube channel version.

Last edited by Woomeister; 02-21-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
Exactly, one of my oldest friends has a video production company and we came up with this to explain a rather technical and mundane subject as it makes it easier to get your point across without boring the hell out of people... https://vimeo.com/72692540

This is not self promotion! Just a contextual example, hence why I've posted the vimeo version rather than my youtube channel version.
That's a well made video. I'd once tried to make something like this using free tools, but it didn't work out so well. Is it expensive to get these made through a production company?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
That's a well made video. I'd once tried to make something like this using free tools, but it didn't work out so well. Is it expensive to get these made through a production company?
My only cost was for the voice over lady.

I planned it, scripted it etc. The production was done by my oldest, and closest, friend of 30 years. I think he used adobe dreamweaver.

I really don't know what he would charge for an 'explainer' video to be honest.

I know that when we made this Fiverr hadn't really kicked off, and one thing you can get good deals on there now is VP, at a good cost!

Old 02-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I know that when we made this Fiverr hadn't really kicked off, and one thing you can get good deals on there now is VP, at a good cost!
Interesting, you're the second person who's recommended the use of fiverr. First one is a close friend of mine. Most people on this forum seem to be against using it though. Is it that it's good for certain services & bad for others?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Interesting, you're the second person who's recommended the use of fiverr. First one is a close friend of mine. Most people on this forum seem to be against using it though. Is it that it's good for certain services & bad for others?
Most people ask about back links on fiverr which is why it gets a bad rap.

I know for a fact that some of the best VP companies have gigs on there and use it as a loss leader for many services.

I have a great relationship with a few of the best whiteboard VP people in the UK and their work is as good as it gets. You obvious won't pay a 'fiverr' though, but its far less expensive than going direct to companies.

I personally think white board explainers would work excellently for your niche as potential customers will be able to visualise different set ups etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I personally think white board explainers would work excellently for your niche as potential customers will be able to visualise different set ups etc.
My niche as in food?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
My niche as in food?
I thought you were more wedding orientated?

If so, you can highlight differing set ups and table plans, serving plans etc etc.

It would help customers visualise the 'flow' etc.

Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I thought you were more wedding orientated?
I'm just helping a friend out. I've been telling him to do videos for some time now but he won't listen. So I've left it at that. But I'll definitely pass on your advice to someone who's more willing to consider it.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:57 AM

I'm writing in the fitness/physiology scene and have this exact problem.

Often I want to go very in depth on things and it's not that easy to gage how much background knowledge the reader has and how much has to be explained. Always a headache (at least for me)

Old 02-24-2017, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Writing is supposed to be fun for you. If you not having fun then drink some beer.

Relax, clear your mind and write for your audience. Try to answer questions in the content that you think might be asked.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteElement View Post
I'm writing in the fitness/physiology scene and have this exact problem.

Often I want to go very in depth on things and it's not that easy to gage how much background knowledge the reader has and how much has to be explained. Always a headache (at least for me)
Personally, I wouldn't go to deep into things as you will switch off certain readers, the ones that possibly do want a deeper understanding can be pointed in the direction of other authority sites. Linking out works in twofold, as it actually benefits your on page seo (many people get paranoid about linking out, ignore them as it only adds to your sites authority actually) and serves to give the reader knowledge that not every reader wants.

So, for example, if your subject is, 'how exercise can benefit people that suffer from hypertension', you wouldn't really want to go into too much detail about hypertension, as you would imagine the reader understands. Having said that, you may have readers who don't, so a link out to an authority site that explains hypertension would be apt, useful an solves your 'problem'.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 PM

thanks for your replies. I will definitely think about these next time I'm staring at the screen

Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteElement View Post
next time I'm staring at the screen
Staring at the screen may be giving you those headaches in the first place (too much screen time). You may want to plan out your posts on paper first, before typing them out on the screen.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 AM

I already do that but I have the tendency of writing and while I'm writing it I figure out more accurate ways of describing certrain things and implementing new sections because that might make some things down the post clearer...

Old 03-03-2017, 03:40 AM

Please guys share real tips for Writing About Complex Topics

Old 03-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimtasnim View Post
Please guys share real tips for Writing About Complex Topics
You haven't read the blog then or the rest of the thread then, as its all pertinent?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

I have found that an infographic also works well in working through a complex topic. It allows the audience to map out a path or recall specific details or stats.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Try to simplify.

Think about the different audiences as well the culture (and you might get this wrong).

And try to understand from all angles but simplify rather than over complicate.
But if it's too simple it'll be gobbdleygook instead of value

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web