Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Complete Guide to Writing Product Descriptions That Convert

If you are having problems creating effective product descriptions for your ecommerce site perhaps this article will help.
Quote:
Most product descriptions are awful. Or worse, non-existent.

Product copy and product descriptions seems like such minor parts of a website in the grand scheme of conversion optimization, so many brands brush it off. But for companies doing it right, writing excellent product descriptions is a great way to sprinkle brand personality in a place that most people donít expect it.
The Complete Guide to Writing Product Descriptions That Convert

It is quite a long read so grab a coffee, have a read and give your feedback on the techniques discussed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
In the course of his search, he found another site with the same product, a more complete description, and a lower price.”
I have done this quite a few times. Bought the exact same product from another site because the description on the first one wasn't good enough or incomplete.

This isn't just an issue with sites, it's also a problem with several Amazon listings. If the sellers were to improve their product descriptions, it would stop their buyers from going to other sellers.

Quote:
In 1982, advertising legend David Ogilvy sent an internal menu to all of his agency employees titled, “How To Write.” Four of his 10 rules directly dealt with simplicity, especially rule #3:

“Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.”
That's what the flesch-kincaid reading ease index grades you on. Whenever I'm writing anything, product descriptions or otherwise, I make it a point to break it down into bite sized pieces so that it's easy enough for anyone to understand.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooha View Post
This article is very much helpful for a person who is going to start a new e commerce site.
You have to say something more than 'this is helpful'. Such statements aren't allowed in this forum. You have to give your own intelligent assessment of the post.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:11 AM

What a read. Article should have took its own advice and kept it short and simple. In my opinion people tend to look at the product description because its a short description. So if there is a lot of products the "customer" is sifting through while making a buying decision they are generally going to use the product description to be quick and make a decision. So i generally trying and use eye catching and simple keywords. I do sometimes neglect this strategy because I am rushing through but I am glad I ran into this article to bring it to my attention again.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 AM

It starts with having a product that you believe in. The rest is just accurately describing its features in a favorable and hopefully exciting light.

Ideally, you would want to be able to have a list of objections that you can eliminate with the copy. Also, if theres any way to can crush the competition subtly, without using any direct language, names or insults then that is sometimes helpful. Just dont make it obvious...

Old 08-27-2017, 10:14 PM

I think most product review is not really same as the product. They try to manipulate the information but it works great to drive conversion and I agree on it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web